Saturday 22 June 2013

June 20th Ciocarla to Constanta

June 20th  Stage 60 Ciocarla to Constanta  34 kms

Setting off from the railway crossing at Ciocarla it was difficult to believe that in an hour or so, all being well, of course, I would have completed the entire crossing of Europe from Galway in the west of Ireland on the Atlantic seaboard to Constanta in eastern Romania on the shores of the Black Sea. Nonetheless, I was holding my breath, sometimes literally, as truck after truck thundered past me on the 17 km straight and undulating stretch to the main  road junction after the Danube to Black Sea canal. Still, all went well as I turned on to the four lane highway, leading after 15 kms or so into Constanta, and it wasn’t as difficult as I had feared. Traffic was relatively light and kept its distance. Curiously, even now one or two
people would cheer me on. Only on one section where the road bifurcated to Tulcea and I found myself forced  into the middle of the road did I feel uncomfortable. I paused at the pilots boat, named Constantia, hauled up beside the road to indicate the entrance to the city, for a photo stop, and then it was unexpectedly easy plain sailing the final five kilometers to our hotel on the Boulevarde Decembre 1918, from which Katherine and I walked, with the bicycle, together down to the decrepit, once magnificent but now very sad, Cazino, on the very shore of the Black Sea. Mission well and truly accomplished. It remains to explore what appears to be a fascinating city tomorrow and then to go home.


34 kms 671 kms from Severin. 4736 kms from Galway

No comments:

Post a Comment