Friday 18 May 2012

May 17th tenth stage

May 17th tenth stage  Rostrenen to Josselin by the Nantes Brest canal  107 kms







The wonderful thing about cycling along a canal is that it is predictable yet always changing. You know the water will be there but round every corner the water is never exactly the same and the surrounding landscapes also continually change.  I think I would never tire of the locks and their houses and gardens, all carefully tended, with manicured grass, flowerbeds and flowering shrubs. All the paintwork is a glorious sky blue and there is nothing in the slightest forced.  In fact, when I came across an uncared for house and untended garden just after St Aignan I was shocked.
Inexplicably I became hopelessly lost on leaving the small town of Rostrenen, goodness knows how, so I asked a bunch of Ascension Day local cyclists who were blatantly relieving themselves into the municipal bedding plants, how to get to the river. Maybe they weren’t happy about being disturbed because five minutes later they shot past me in a Tour de France peloton phalanx without saying a word. I was still finding this typical of a lot of the people I was meeting along the way (the gardener and my Breton companion yesterday were the exception rather than the rule) but I must admit that this couldn’t be said of the three gentlemen I met on the way to Pontivy. Two of them were cyclists and one of the two sported an Irish flag on the back of his bike. Maybe a  few years older than myself they were enjoying a cycling holiday along the canal. We had a right old natter. It turned out that  John lived in Ballinasloe, just up the road from my brother and promised to call in when he got back home to report on my progress. There was  too much to talk about and the Irishmen were hungry after their morning’s cycling, and they were staying in a gite where the cooking was very much to their taste. But before they left Des couldn’t resist telling me a story. On learning that my surname was Heery, and knowing that the Heeries came from County Cavan, Des said that people from Cavan were known to be a bit stingy. “let me tell you a story before you go,” he said. “A man from Cavan was scraping the wallpaper off his wall. His friend appears and  observes that he must be decorating. Not all, replies the man from Cavan, we’re moving”   We parted, chuckling.
There is a problem at Gouarec. The canal, six or so kilometres later disappears into the Guerledan lake, a man-made reservoir. The towpath has equally disappeared. There is a “voie verte” but I preferred to take a short cut from Bon Repos through the forested country lanes to Les Forges and on to Saint Aignan where it is possible to pick up the main canal again after the “barrage”. A pleasant, undulating ride, nonetheless, I was irritated by the difference between my VTT tyres on the road surface compared to my slicks, and by the fierce easterly headwind that had sprung up and which was to remain with me all day.



Slower they may be on the tarmac, I was, nonetheless happy to have changed my tyres. Even yesterday, the normally quite firm towpath had disintegrated into thick, clinging mud in places, and now between St Aignan and Pontivy the newly laid surface of sharp gravel would have been lethal to the slicks. When I met the Irishmen they had been pushing their bikes having suffered a puncture; I wasn’t surprised.



The fifty or so kilometres between Pontivy and Josselin, however, were lovely. The stiff easterly headwind was still there but the surface was immaculate, the ascent and descent through the two series of locks before Rohan, the water backing up between each lock into extremely picturesque large ponds,  an ornithologist’ and fisherman’s paradise, a joy to ride, especially in the early evening slanting sunshine. I took a short rest and detour at lock 41  La Tetraie to sit quietly for a few moments in the astonishing church of Saint Melec, very highly recommended.  Twenty minutes later I was in Josselin, admiring the three towered chateau. 

 Today I continued to catch up on lost time. The continual headwind didn’t slow my progress and the sunshine in the afternoon was welcome. Some very beautiful scenery.  107 kms Total 644 kms

No comments:

Post a Comment