Monday 4 June 2012

June 3rd Rheinfelden to Basle


June 3rd Rheinfelden to Basle 19 kms

Unfortunately, though, mission wasn’t quite accomplished, because there was the small matter of those 24 kms, which in fact turned out to be only 19, from the day before yesterday. If I was already feeling that sense of anti climax which, in my experience always accompanies the achieving of an objective, this short ride into the city of Basle exacerbated it.



Driving back home from Schaffhausen, Katherine dropped me at Rheinfelden railway station, just opposite the Shultzen Hotel, in a miserable drizzle to make up the missed distance. It was an uninspiring, and thankfully short ride, luckily on a Sunday morning with little traffic, but past factory after factory obscuring the view of the Rhine on one side and of the low, pleasantly wooded hills  on the other. I was very relieved to meet up again with Katherine at Basle Hauptbahnhof, simply pleased that I could now, hand on heart, say that I had cycled every centimetre of the 1906 kilometres between Nimmo’s Quay in Galway and the Rheinfallen in Schaffhausen. I can’t wait now to jump back on the bike and  nip over the hill from Schaffhausen to Donauschingen and cycle on to the Black Sea.
Total 19 kms  Total since Galway 1906 kms




No comments:

Post a Comment