Monday 4 June 2012

May 31st Osselle to L’Isle sur Doubs


May 31st  Osselle to L’Isle sur Doubs  87kms

A day spent entirely following the course of the very lovely river Doubs. Some minor campsite frustrations prevented us from leaving as early as we would have liked but by 9am I was humming along by the river, and especially impressed by the tunnel at the village of Thoraise which cut off a large meander of the Doubs. This phenomenon was repeated in Besancon where the neck of the meander within which the city is tightly situated is pierced through with a very impressive tunnel for the canal which, unlike the one at Thoraise is usable by cyclists, thus avoiding what I had expected to be a difficult passage through the traffic. Unfortunately the Relais de Velo, just before arriving in Besancon is closed on Thursday. I had been looking forward to calling in since I had read that the proprietor was keeping a book in which he invited cyclists who were traversing Europe to note their itineraries. I would have been very interested to have read about others’ journeys.  But today was Thursday and despite the many attractions of Besancon, of which the muse de Beaux Arts is certainly one of them,  I had no time to wait until he opened on Friday.



So, through the tunnel and back on to the river on the other side. The Eurovelo guide book editors describe the next 50 or so kilometres as being perhaps amongst the best, in terms of scenery, of the whole French section of the route, and they may be right.



The cliffs are quite spectacular, the river is remarkably wide and stately, its calm being broken only occasionally by short rapids circumvented by modernised, efficient-looking locks and the voie verte is so well maintained that t he cyclist has no difficulty in looking around. Baume les Dames, however, was a disappointment. Reputably, I thought, a handsome town, it is not a patch on Baumes les Messieurs near Lons le Saunier, in my opinion, even though its situation beneath limestone cliffs is similar. We were obliged to eat lunch next to an ugly faded blue iron bridge which was as out of place in this beautiful river valley as it could possibly have been. So quickly on, back into the countryside proper and the ever present calmly curving Doubs. I felt strangely tired though this afternoon. Perhaps nearly a month’s riding with only four rest days was getting to me a bit and I was irritated by a small but unexpected climb up to the very insignificant village of Roches-les-Clerval, where, to my astonishment, in front of a  unprepossessing barn there stood a clump of banana trees. I was suddenly uplifted as I recalled why I was doing what sometimes I was tempted to think was a bit of an irrelevance, and continued on my way with a smile.
A very pleasant campsite, some blackish clouds and an incipient tiredness, persuaded me to stop at L’Isle sur Doubs, especially as it now seems that if things continue as they are we should make our objective, the River Danube, within the next three days, which would be a day ahead of schedule.



 87 kms. Total since Galway 1693 kms.


Katherine's post:

 Churches,bridges ,locks….. what do they have in common? The arrangements we need to make each day centre round the meeting up points, for perhaps 11ses,lunch, coffee breaks, or to check that we’re on the right route and very occasionally a visit to a site. And that’s where  the churches etc. come in and churches are the best. Even the smallest village has one, the spires or towers make them visible from a distance and there’s nearly always a little square or open space nearby to park the car and wait for Richard .The almost castellated spires in Brittany have given way now to the domed and richly patterned Burgandy towers ,with many a variation on the theme in between. Of course being on canals and rivers a lot of the way has made bridges a good second rendezvous point, but  the churches are my favourites as they also give me the chance to see some superb villages and their names are always of interest;  I never knew there were so many saints.  Katherine

No comments:

Post a Comment