Monday 4 June 2012

May 26th Decizes to Paray-le –Monial


May 26th Decizes to Paray-le –Monial   91 kms

One of those inefficient starts this morning which, together with having some difficulty in finding the Port la Jonction, set me more behind than I wanted to be. I headed for the D15 instead of the recommended veloroute which was probably a  mistake  although I did get to have a nice chat with  a large Genevois family and, even better, because the road had been blocked at one of the canal bridges, I had it all to myself. But I felt tired this morning and it took a coffee at the pretty village of Cronat to really get me going.  The next section over the small hills to Bourbon Lancy  was lovely but either the veloroute signs are poor or I was careless but I managed to get hopelessly lost in a town of only 6000 people. Difficult to believe but true. One thing this trip has taught me is how little people know about their own towns. If you want good directions ask country folk; your average townsperson hasn’t a clue. Unless, of course, your townsperson is an old lady and then you get efficient, accurate directions with a smile.



There is an excellent cycle piste along the D979, so good in fact, that I missed the much recommended Chateau de St Aubin - and my lunch, which wasn’t, I hasten to add, going to be taken in the chateau but in a shady area nearby. However, revitalized in Diou, albeit under a blazing sun (the weather has gone from the sublime to the ridiculous) I was at the remarkable Pont Canal over the Loire in Digoin in no time. Another half an hour , and having left the Loire behind and taken the Canal du Centre I was  in front of the basilica in Paray-le-Monial as forty or so white-cowled monks processed out of the church, chanting to celebrate the initiation of four nuns. It was as splendid as it was unexpected. On this note, and after 93 kilometres, we decided to make this unexpectedly dignifed small town our destination for the day.



91kms  
Total since Galway 1381 kms

No comments:

Post a Comment