Monday 4 June 2012

May 30th Verdun sur Doubs to Osselle


May 30th  Verdun sur Doubs to Osselle 103 kms

After a two day rest I am not sure whether I feel revitalized or stiff! Verdun is a beautiful small town, the confluence of two of the most attractive rivers in France, the Saone and the Doubs and the first 20 kilometres to Seurre, meandering easily between the two rivers, at least had the advantage of loosening me up. I was very pleased that I left the road at Chazelle to take a recommended but quite overgrown track  because there I met Dieter from Hildersheim with his donkey and cart on his way to St Jacques de Compostella where he expected to arrive in mid-September. Quietly spoken and deeply tanned, he was a man about my own age and seemed perfectly content with the world, although he was having some difficulty in persuading his donkey to push through the long grass. In Seurre by the majestic river Saone, we met a very old cyclist (I would have put him at nearer eighty than seventy) weighed down a little with his luggage. He had come from the Black Forest, on his own. Unfortunately, he told us as quietly as my friend with the donkey, “ich habe keine frau”. (to help him carry his load).I felt very humbled, and not for the first time on this trip. 



Unfortunately, the D976 to St Jean de Losne had little to recommend it but the town itself is very attractive. We ate a simple lunch on the quai watching a man on a huge converted barge (once again flying an Australian flag) endlessly cleaning the few square metres of his bridge. Next to him a chap in an even fancier pleasure cruiser (this one flying a Swiss flag) had a pot of white paint and was meticulously “repairing” the tiniest scratch or disfigurement on the paintwork of his already immaculate boat. I had the distinct impression that neither of these men had enough to do. Maybe they should get on a bike!



I made up a lot of time on the excellent voie verte along the rive droite of the Saone before turning sharp right into the Rhone Rhine canal, which quickly seemed to lose its sense of importance. The huge chemical factory, the Usine Solvay, was certainly a blot on the landscape (perhaps the first of the trip so far) but Dole, one of my favourite places, more than made up for it. It was here that I first saw the enticing, ironic signposts: Nantes (par centre historique) and Budapest (par centre historique), which  had decided me to extend the idea and attempt to  travel under my own steam from the most westerly point to the most easterly point (give or take some few kilometres)  of Europe. (purists would include Iceland, of course, but I
haven’t).



From Dole it was extremely pleasant riding along the banks of the Doubs, with one or two incursions into the surrounding countryside. My own “department” of Jura, mysteriously wooded and hilly is becoming one of the most attractive of all.

Another satisfying day towards the east west watershed which I am still hoping to reach before June 4th

103 kms. 
Total since Galway 1606 kms.

No comments:

Post a Comment