Monday 4 June 2012

May 28th Paray-le-Monial to Verdun-sur-le-Doubs


May 28th  Paray-le-Monial to Verdun-sur-le-Doubs  122 kms

It was with some regret that I left Paray-le-Monial so early this beautiful Sunday morning because I had the impression that there was a lot to explore in this surprising town. But if I was to get to Verdun and a welcome two day rest I had to get my skates on. Which was exactly what I did, humming past the only other people about, the many fishermen, some of them hunched morosely over one line, others scurrying from line to line, arranged most professionally along the side of the Canal du Centre. The D974 was almost completely free of traffic and I was past the elegant Chateau de Digoine in no time and on to Genelard, the first of the industrial mining towns along today’s route. A coffee in the working man’s L’Estimat, by the railway crossing, and a glance into the foyer of the probably very interesting museum dedicated to the Ligne de Demarcation  with its signs in French and German “Anyone failing to stop at this line will be fired on”, and I was back on the extremely friendly D974 which even through Montceau les Mines and the amusingly named Josy O’Quay’s Pub by the side of the canal remained remarkably empty. An easy to miss sharp right in the town onto a short section of pave in Blanzy and there was still only myself and the fishermen as far as Montchanin. There the hitherto friendly D794 became very aggressive for a couple of kilometres so I took an interesting detour around the bassin bringing me back within a four or five kilometres  to the beginning of the seven locks which takes the Canal du Centre down quite steeply to St Julien sur Dheune . This section, and the next seven or so kilometres was one of the most enjoyable of the day, the road, still the D974, and now again quite traffic-free, dropping smoothly to the pretty port of St Leger and the beginning of an easy voie verte all the way to Chalon.



In fact, I circumvented the city of Chalon by leaving the Canal du Centre at Fragnes and cutting across to the D5 which brought me easily to the next main river system of my journey, the confluence of the Saone and the Doubs at Verdun.



Looking back on the first 1500 kms of the ride I realize I made two good decisions.  One was to change my saddle and use a much more comfortable old Brooks,  and the second was to carry a spare pair of wheels so that I could interchange slicks and VTT tyres very easily.

122 kms.  
Total since Galway 1503 kms.  

No comments:

Post a Comment