Monday 4 June 2012

June 2nd Rheinfelden to Schaffhausen

June 2nd Rheinfelden to Schaffhausen  92 kms



The first (and probably only) whole day’s riding in Switzerland and I have to admit that it was a little disappointing.  Various business including WATU correspondence took up more time than I intended in the morning and I postponed riding the missed 24 kms of yesterday. I decided to make up time by using the main road alongside the Rhine as much as possible but the density of traffic was heavy and I had to resort to the recommended cycle routes. Unfortunately, these are not nearly as well signposted as in France (at least the Eurovelo route in France) and on the section between Stein and Laufenburg I became so completely lost in a no man’s land between autoroute and railway line that a kind lady took pity on me and cycled a good five kilometres with me to put me right. There are some good sections of cyclable piste alongside the main road in places but often these run out unexpectedly too. I also missed the omnipresence of the water that had been with me since Chateaulin in Brittany. The Rhine is a majestic, rapid river,especially above Koblenz, but along this section it is rare to get intimate with it as one does the Loire or even more so the Doubs.  There is also a lot of industry and naked concrete to circumnavigate which detracts from the otherwise pristine surroundings. I suppose it is simply the relative isolation of so much of the route so far that I was missing.



At Kaiserstuhl I dipped down into the remarkably intact village, crossed the river and took a higher cross country route to Schaffhausen which kept dipping in and out of Germany. Suddenly there was far less traffic, the views were open and  I seemed to be in tune with things more and made much better progress. By mid afternoon we were sitting by the spectacular Rhein Falls, thinking that this was a fitting end to the first part of the ride, a ride that had taken me along so many rivers.  The Danube was only a hop, skip and a jump away and will be waiting for us in a few weeks when I continue to the Black Sea.  The west east watershed reached; mission, so far, accomplished
92 kms  Distance from Galway 1889 kms. 




No comments:

Post a Comment