Monday 3 September 2012

August 28th Stage 30 Regensburg to Nesslbach


August  28th  Stage 30 Regensburg to Nesslbach    110 kms

After a splendid early breakfast in the 14th century dining room of our hotel overlooking the façade of the cathedral we were ready for a long day. Our first meeting place was to be Sulzbach under the curiously anachronistic copy of the Parthenon, Walhalla, perched on the wooded hillside above the river. We decided we didn’t have time to climb up to it and then later regretted our decision as, apparently, it contains a tablet commemorating the three signatories of the Rutli agreement, effectively the founding of Switzerland, which we would have liked to have seen.
But I was already making good progress along the floodplain of the Danube on excellently paved cycle paths and minor roads which, though, unfortunately, tended a lot of the time to be below the levee of the river thus obscuring the view. Because by now the Danube is impressively wide. I would stop every so often to watch the enormous barges plying the river, and wonder how long it would take them to get wherever they were going. It was extremely pleasant, even relaxing, to be able to move at more or less a constantly good speed, through the prosperous villages and the Bavarian countryside as manicured as in Switzerland. In one such village a young mother shot past me in the opposite direction on her roller blades, pushing the pram, and greeting me with that cheerful “haallo” which is ubiquitous and so friendly. I caught up with a man my own age from Stuttgart and we chatted for five minutes or so. Everything seemed quiet and as it should be. The old lady at the bus stop told me politely that the village I was looking for was still another three kilometres. I thanked her and cycled on. I felt as if I could go on for ever.



During  lunch with Katherine at Kussnacht I called my nephew from Ireland who by a nice coincidence is in Munich. We can meet tomorrow at Passau; all the more reason for putting a few more kilometres under my belt.



Bypassing Straubing by the Beggergraben levee where the cycle track deteriorates somewhat Riebersdorf and Bogen were easily reached along excellent cycle paths. In Pfelling I missed an excellent  opportunity for conversation with a middle-aged man with an artificial leg, carrying a heavy rucksack and a stick. I would really have liked to know where he was going but he seemed not to be in the mood for chatting. Doubtless he had other things to think about and in any case my German is very poor. Protected from the wind by the Danube levee the ride from Pfelling to the wonderfully named Mariaposching where I had arranged to meet Katherine was effortless.. The traffic free road wound in and out of small woods with every so often views of the ever-widening river through breaks in the protective dyke. Katherine was waiting at Mariaposching, watching the old wooden ferry as it skilfully negotiated the swift currents and I accepted the invitation of a fellow cyclist, to try out his low-slung, very sleek tricycle. I envied him his marvellously comfortable seat and believed him when he told me he could ride 200 kilometres a day quite easily, but lying back and pedalling with your feet in the air, not to mention the vulnerability in traffic would take some getting used to. If they were as good as he claimed why isn’t everyone riding them. This one was only the second I had seen since Galway.
After refreshment in the simple gasthaus in Mariaposching, it was no distance into Deggendorf, first along the grass and shingle of the river bank with the locals enjoying the sun, then through the very busy town  and out along an adequate cycle path past the old port, looking a little sad these days, and back into the countryside again where a cheerful old farmer on his tractor virtually pulled me along in his wake for a good few kilometres.



Passing the 100 kilometre mark I still felt strong, so strong in fact that momentarily I was regretting not having decided to continue all the way to Passau. But Katherine had found an excellent campsite at Nesslbach where I arrived with a very friendly local chap who insisted on showing me the way for the final few kilometres; a very appropriate ending to an unspectacular but thoroughly satisfying day out on the bike.



110 kms Total from Schaffhausen 547 kms Total from Galway 2453 kms


No comments:

Post a Comment