Saturday 29 September 2012

September 23rd Filling the gap( 2) Ban Brestovac to Belgade centre


September 23rd  Filling the gap( 2)  Ban Brestovac to Belgade centre 46 kms


I knew this had to be the final day of riding and so I really savoured the first 20 kilometres to the outskirts of Panchevo  where the traffic began to build. I had thought that Sunday would be quieter on the roads but this didn’t seem to be the case. Already in Kovin there was more activity than yesterday: people shopping at the market down the road, boys off to football games, farmers to their fields on tractors, men gathering in the cafes, but not many people, it would seem, going to church. By the time, later in the day when we got to Belgrade, everyone seemed to be working.


Nowhere was work more obvious than in Starveco on the outskirts of Panchevo at the enormous and brand new power station complex that seemed to be in the process of being completed. Men were swarming all over the shiny machinery. At the main gates an electronic machine proudly displayed its virgin nine sets of zero ready, presumably, to start showing how much power the complex was generating. It was startling to see this immensely sophisticated power station as a backdrop to two horses and carts, mother and father on the front seat and the children in the cart clutching the iron chain to keep their balance.


I took to the tree-lined pavements, and followed Katherine into the large town of Panchevo. A pleasant bicycle track followed the canal for a short distance but then petered out and took to the very busy main road into Belgrade. Afraid of losing each other at the very last minute and by no means sure of where we would meet in Belgrade we decided to put the bike in the car and drive to the bridge over the Danube from where I would cycle into the centre (to be exact, to the elevator for cycles on the Bratstvo I jedinstvo bridge over the River Sava). Katherine would then drive back to Panchevo where I would meet her. In this way all of the missed section between Belgrade and Veliko Gradiste would have been made up.


And thus the final sting in the tail began. There was no problem driving across the Danube Bridge and parking in a petrol station on the far side. I cycled up the November 29th Street, most of the time on the pavement, into the Square of the Republic, past the bus station and down to the bridge where I photographed myself reflected in the glass of the elevator. And so back to the Danube bridge.


Now my difficulties began. Getting on to the bridge required threading a tricky path through complicated and slip shod road works and snarling, incessantly horn-blowing, smelly traffic. Once on the slipway it was necessary to balance on the metre wide so-called sidewalk, which was cracked, potholed and covered in gravel, litter and broken glass. Halfway down the slipway the sidewalk degenerated completely into broken tarmac. On the bridge proper, the old, rusting, dirty green central girders flanking the railway that runs along the centre of the bridge, reared up intimidatingly, and the traffic raced past centimetres from the slightly raised pavement. Possibly, this long kilometre or so across this monstrous bridge was the worst bit of riding of the entire 4000 kilometres. I confess to pushing the bicycle a part of the way, which did at least allow me to gaze down on the lonely fishermen in skiffs in the middle of the river beneath this shaking, pulsating bridge and wonder what on earth propelled them every Sunday afternoon to go fishing there, of all places, when they had acres of empty water elsewhere to go fishing in.


Eventually I made it (safely) to the other side, and then amazingly, after negotiating a small, drab, housing estate, I was in the countryside, completely alone, riding along a last unpaved embankment with a thick belt of trees protecting me from the busy road to my left and a maze of creeks, green ponds, dead tree stumps and vegetation to my right. I slowed down, I was quite tired anyway, and enjoyed the solitude, and the feel of my Cannondale bicycle that had served me so reliably for more than 4000 kms as it bounced, the last few kilometres, over the hard mud of the track.

46 kms Total from Schaffhausen 2155 kms  Grand total from Galway 4065 kms

No comments:

Post a Comment