Wednesday 12 September 2012

September 7th Stage 38 Hainburg to Lipot (Gyor)


September 7th  Stage 38  Hainburg to Lipot (Gyor)  98 kms

Just as I left Hainburg this morning along the river side the Twin City Hydrofoil shot past me heading downstream with a strong current for Bratislava. For a moment I envied the few passengers that seemed to be aboard. It was such a civilized way of getting about, I thought, not like pedalling a bicycle for kilometres on end. However, perish the thought and I was soon on my way over the shallow rise behind Hainburg whereupon, to my surprise, appeared suddenly the monstrous concrete blocks of the Slovakian capital’s suburbs, a definite blot on the landscape.


Crossing the border into Slovakia was, for me, an important moment. The last time I crossed from Czechoslovakia into Austria we were checked and double checked (no pun intended) and guns were trained on our car where our children were sleeping in the back seat. How wonderful that today no-one took the slightest notice of my passing through the old custom post, now little more than a group of dilapidated buildings and a weed-ridden huge concrete car park. By the side of the cycle track leading into the city there was an old bunker but I think it is now a tourist attraction.

The excellent cycle piste wound round to the Novy Most bridge with its impressive observation balcony and then via a protective embankment onto a road which is completely closed to traffic and dedicated entirely to cyclists. I said yesterday that today would be a gallop through Slovakia and so it turned out to be. I was in fine fettle but I think my energy was generated as much by anxiety about Katherine, who was driving round Bratislava on the motorway; we had arranged to meet in Rajka in Hungary and I knew I would be relieved to see her. I lost the way as I approached the border in Cunova.  “Yes, I do in fact speak some English” the elderly gentleman of whom I asked directions answered most charmingly, though he was disappointed that I wanted to go into Hungary and suggested most persuasively that I eat lunch in the excellent restaurant in the small town. I was sorry, if only for his sake, that my first visit to Slovakia had been so brief. 



True to form Katherine was waiting at the railway station in Rajka. Her journey had been easy but not uneventful, having been stopped by a policeman on the motorway for not having a “vignette”. However, he was in agreement that at the border crossing post there had been nowhere to purchase such a sticker and the potential 140 euro fine was waived. Nonetheless, he urged her to buy the Hungarian sticker as soon as she entered the country.


For the next 30 kilometres or so we travelled almost together hopping from one quiet Hungarian village to the next. It really was delightful cycling along very sparsely travelled country lanes in the wide flood plain of the Duna as the Danube is called in Hungary. The bicycle route is indicated but you have to be vigilant and sometimes, such as at the exit from the horribly gravelly levee leading to Puskis, important turnings are not marked. Here I must praise the Bikeline editors for their meticulous work on route description.


Finding an excellent campsite at Lipot we decided to set up the tent and then I would continue the further 25 kilometres to Gyor returning to the campsite in the car. This section was not as enjoyable as the previous 30 kms but the cycle track alongside the road into Gyor was always adequate if narrow and often very good indeed. Thus I joined the locals, which is always nice, on their late Friday afternoon business, as I rode down to the iron Kossuth Hid bridge and took some photographs.

98 kms  Total from Schaffhausen 1087 kms  Total from Galway 2995 kms

     

No comments:

Post a Comment