Wednesday 19 September 2012

September 17th Stage 46 Sremski Karlovci (Novi Sad) to Batajnica (Belgrade)


September 17th Stage 46 Sremski Karlovci (Novi Sad) to Batajnica (Belgrade)  78 kms

The first job of the day was to drive back to Sremska Komenica to start riding at exactly the point I left off yesterday.  The traffic seemed less intimidating this morning and, even including taking some photos of the two impressive bridges over the Danube to the sprawling Novi Sad on the far bank I had negotiated Petrovaradin and was back in Sremski Karlovci within the hour. However, my motivation was at a low ebb, and was not in the slightest improved by the 6 kilometre climb out of the town on the fairly busy 22-1 road with fast-moving traffic, in both directions!!!! (I had to take refuge on the grass verge at least once to avoid vehicles which were overtaking on the way down). But my spirits improved when I turned off to Cotanovci; most of the traffic disappeared and the rolling countryside once again made for excellent riding and some good views. In the neat village of Beska a charming man, who like our friend from yesterday had noticed the Swiss number plates, stopped to ask us if we needed help. His aunt, he told us, lived in Solothurn where he visited frequently. As it turned out his advice was invaluable and my mood improved still further. In Krcedin I met two bicycle tourists, young Germans travelling to Istanbul. They were a little dejected by the recent bad weather (unlike us I suppose they didn’t have the means to take refuge in a hotel) and by a spate of mysterious punctures in Budapest. I gave them some moral support and pushed on along a seemingly endless straight road into a headwind with the farmers taking their orchard produce to a brand new collecting centre near Novi Slankamen. I made the mistake of following the guidebook’s advice to descend to the riverside at Stari Slankomen. No doubt in season this is a busy tourist spot, but today I am afraid it was anything but. Moribund and a bit odorous it had little to offer. Indeed, a bus arrived and virtually everyone in the town seemed to be getting on it, eager to escape. I did the same and pounded south towards Sorduk on a road that was half paved and half unpaved. I would cycle the smoother paved section and drivers would arrive unannounced (or with blasting horns) and frighten me out of my wits. I passed a brave business and sports complex which looked as if it was on the point of being abandoned (although maybe it was just out of season). The whole impression was of an area trying to develop but not always succeeding. There were attractive cafes in all the villages for instance.


I began to tire quickly as we neared the Belgrade connurbation. I don’t want to flog a dead horse but some of the traffic, especially the trucks, were passing me far too closely and too quickly for my comfort. In Batajnica where I met the main road I gave up for the day, and put the bike in the car for the last few kilometres into the outskirts of Belgrade. Tomorrow, very early, when the roads are less frenetic and I am fresher, I will recuperate those last few kilometres.


78 kms  Total from Schaffhausen 1838  Total from Galway 3748 kms


The driving has been great when following the little village roads, but I can agree with Richard that the main roads are far from easy.  The surface is often far from ideal, patched, wavy, oddly cambered, even potholed but nobody except me seems thrown by this. I don’t think I’ve overtaken anything except tractors and carts but I’m passed continuously and often at incredible speed; has anybody noticed the 60km. limit, the no overtaking signs? Here’s me doing my best to law abiding (and taking into consideration the state of the roads) and I seem to be a positive liability, one of these trundling along sorts who get everybody annoyed!

One added navigating difficulty now we’re in Serbia (a sign of ignorance on our part) is that we didn’t realize that a Cyrillic alphabet is used and although our familiar alphabet is found,  some major road signs are not in both, involving quite a lot of guess work on my part! Katherine

No comments:

Post a Comment