Monday 17 September 2012

September 14th Stage 43 Mohacs to Osijek


September 14th Stage  43  Mohacs to  Osijek 73 kms.

The weather was still threatening and overcast this morning and it was in sombre mood that we set off for the border with Croatia some 17 kms from Mohacs. Everything was very quiet indeed in this remote corner of Hungary and just as yesterday I was sorry to leave Kalocsa so today I was sorry to leave Hungary.We were also leaving the Danube and for the first time since Riedlingen  I spent an entire day’s riding without glimpsing the river. Now Katherine and I seemed almost to be the only ones on the road.  The border crossing was polite, even friendly and whilst I felt a  little intimidated by the warnings of mines in the fields immediately after (and before actually) the frontier, the well- kept churches, standing proud and tall amongst the low houses of the villages were welcoming even if it was sad to see so many lovely gabled cottages falling to pieces, their small courtyards overgrown with weeds.

The roads were long and straight and the fields stretched endlessly to the far distant horizon. I was glad to see some low hills in front of me which I would have to cross; they broke the monotony of the landscape somewhat.


Of course, had the weather been kind then my impression of the landscape might have been quite different. The wine growing region around Draz, for instance, with its orchards and well-tended vegetable gardens was pretty but by now the rain was coming down in torrents and I was in no mood to appreciate it. 


Topping the low range of hills I turned right on to the 212 and simply concentrated on getting to Osijek. Most of the roads, once they left the villages, headed in a straight line for the next cluster of houses. Luckily there was relatively little traffic until Bilje, and the last perfectly straight 5 kms into Osijek, to be honest, was a frightening nightmare.


We were happy enough to book into the hotel that the ladies in the post office recommended and which a young student from the university offered to show us the way to. I needed to dry out and rest and in any case there seems to be no camping to be had. The fact that the hotel is extremely unexceptional and expensive to boot is another matter.

Total from Schaffhausen 1,635kms. Total from Galway 3,545 kms.




No comments:

Post a Comment