Monday 17 September 2012

September 16th Stage 45 Vukovar to Sremski Karlovci (Novi Sad)


September 16th Stage 45 Vukovar to Sremski Karlovci  (Novi Sad) 80 kms

What a day!  It was a beautiful Sunday morning, very welcome after three days of heavy rain and cloud. In Vukovar people were out in the cafes and I found it difficult to tear myself away from this town which had obviously suffered so much ..and in my own recent lifetime too. As the hotel receptionist helped me to retrieve my bicycle from the garage she told me how difficult it is now for people to find work, and not for the first time on this trip I felt that there was so much more to be said.


A strange thing happened as I left the town. The road rises slightly as you leave Vukovar and gives a very good view of the artillery-bombarded water tower which has been left as it was as a kind of memorial against war. As I was asking an old man if it was appropriate to take a photo there was a minor car accident in front of us. It seemed an odd coincidence of situation and I hoped not a bad omen.


I passed a large, carefully-tended cemetery and memorial to those who had lost their lives in the conflict, and then I was into some woods and out in the countryside. I now realized what a good decision it had been to stay in Vukovar,  because  today’s ride would not have been nearly so pleasant had it been on a working day. The road from Sotin to Ilok on the Serbian border undulates with some fairly steep hills and nasty corners. Usually there is heavy traffic. Today, the only slow moving traffic I had to deal with were the tractors and trailers bringing in the grapes in from the vineyards. I tucked in behind one such tractor and was pulled along comfortably for kilometres. The ride to the border which came just after Ilok was very calming: expansive views over to low lying Fruska Gora hills, the countryside patterned with coniferous forest, vineyards and orchards. Our last experience in Croatia was in the tiny village of Sarengrad where we took a coffee break on the side of the river in a very simple café where the lady who had lived there all her life described how in 2010 the river had overflowed its banks to a depth of six metres completely flooding her entire house. But it wasn’t so bad, she told us in faltering German, and I wondered what other experiences perhaps she was comparing it with.


The young policeman at the Serbian border couldn’t have been more pleasant. He wished me a cheerful “bon voyage”, stamped my passport, and I was on my way into my eighth country. The roads were deserted even for a Sunday. I joined Katherine for lunch on a bench overlooking our river in Banastor, watching yet another ferry ply its patient way back and to, when a gentleman approached us. He was from Gland, our neighbouring town in Switzerland. He was Serbian and was visiting his family. He had seen the number plates on the car and wanted to say bonjour. He did more than that. Not only did he give us some good advice but he insisted on giving us a few dinar to tide us over until we could get to a bancomat. If you ever get the chance to read this blog, Pierre (from Gland) thank you very much. We needed your money a little later in the day.


But by the time we had reached the outskirts of Novi Sad, the heavy traffic, even on a Sunday, the long day, and the accumulation of driving (in Katherine’s case) and continuous riding (in my case) was taking its toll just a little. About four o’clock we stopped for a break in Sremska Kamenica, and an indication of how tired we were was that we left behind us both the map and our car keys. The young girl from the café came running after us. We decided to call it a day before we had a more serious incident, put the bike in the car and drove ten kilometres round Petrovaradin to the beautiful baroque town of Sremski Karlovci where everyone seemed to be getting married.


We had an interesting evening, witnessing, amongst other things, a 350 guest wedding, small  by Serbian standards according to the waiter at the hotel, and the third set of magnificent wedding fireworks, this time set off from a small boat in the Danube, of our trip (the others were at Blain and at Durnstein) and planned how tomorrow, before I rode on to Belgrade, we would drive back to Novi Sad where I would continue from where I had left off earlier today.    


The day could hardly have been more varied.

80 kms Total from Schaffhausen 1760 kms  Total from Galway 3670 kms
  

No comments:

Post a Comment