Saturday 29 September 2012

September 22nd Filling the gap (1) Veliko Gradiste to Ban Brestovac


September 22nd  Filling the gap (1)  Veliko Gradiste to Ban Brestovac   81 kms


The penultimate day of riding, and I certainly made the most of it this lovely warm late September Saturday morning. Even though I am tired I know I am going to miss these wonderful mornings, when turning the first pedals of the day is such a joy.Yesterday Katherine and I had driven back along the Danube Gorge to Veliko Gradiste so that today and tomorrow I could complete the section between there and Belgrade that I hadn’t done, so that I might honestly claim to have ridden (literally) every centimetre from Galway to Romania.


The ferry from Ram leaves only every three hours and we had to catch the midday departure. The Danube was magnificent this morning as I crossed the Silver Lake dam and then lingered along the easy route on the top of the levee with scores of fishermen. The low rounded hills of Romania on the far bank looked to be very close and the river after yesterday’s turbulence was calm. Up over the low hill and I was coasting down into the tiny village of Ram.


The ferry did not leave on time but I was in Stara Palanka before one o’clock.  The route to Kovin, north of the river, not described in my out of date guide book but well directed with Eurovelo 6 indicators, was very agreeable. To describe it as flat, as my friend from the bicycle shop in Zemun had, was a bit of an exaggeration but the climbing is very gradual, the views almost 360 degrees and the traffic minimal. The woods gave way to some open moorland and I was in my element. My thoughts were all of the earlier forty days of riding, forgetting the frustrations in the sheer joy of riding a bicycle.


But I was tiring. A chap on a mountain bike cruised past me who normally I would have kept pace with. At Kovin I passed  the 4000 kilometre mark from Galway and I was beginning to feel it. We wasted some time in the town trying to find the way out (not for the first time, I might add) and by the time I had reached Ban Brestovac after a 6 or 7 kilometre straight line  with the low late afternoon sun in my eyes I was ready to stop for the day. There were only a few kilometres left to the elevator on     Bridge in Belgrade left to do tomorrow and in any case I will only brave the Belgrade traffic on a Sunday.

81 kms Total from Schaffhausen 2109 kms  Total from Galway  4019 kms

No comments:

Post a Comment