Sunday 23 September 2012

September 21st Stage 50 Romanian border via Severin to Tismana



September 21st  Stage 50  Romanian border via Severin to Tismana   40kms


We have run out of time! Today is the furthest east we will get this year. I rode from the Iron Gates dam with the fierce wind that any moment threatened to toss me into the extremely heavy traffic and into Drobeta-Turnu Severin which, after a preliminary bad impression, surprised me with its pleasant parks and wide boulevards.  At Simian I had lost most of the traffic and after Hinova I was in the Romanian countryside. Knowing that I had only an hour or so of riding left I lingered along the 56B (I was also struggling against the extremely strong cross wind that was whipping the waters of the Danube into a frenzy) the better to appreciate my last views of this great river whose course I had been following for so long. Katherine and I wanted to find a quiet spot beside the river to “celebrate”  and turned off to Tismana. But the road ran out into a scrubby track and that was where we called it a day! We still have a missed section between Ram and Belgrade to fill in, which I must do tomorrow and Sunday morning, if we are to be completely serious about our route, and we are already late.


And so for the moment, that’s it! More than 2000 kms from Schaffhausen and if I successfully fill the gap tomorrow more than 4000 kms from Galway. But I am not at the Black Sea which was the objective. There will have to be a part three to this narrative, next spring, when I will return to finish the job, either along the rest of the Danube or over the mountains to the north.


40 kms Total from Schaffhausen 2028 kms Total from Galway 3938 kms


Today in Romania we have at last seen the BLUE Danube. The final day  heading east for this part of the trip ( next spring we hope will see us finish the journey ) was  sunny but incredibly windy and the river looked splendid, not only because of the colour, but the waves with their “white horses” and the water birds skimming the surface left a great final impression. There’s lots to look forward to when we return. Katherine


No comments:

Post a Comment