Thursday 6 September 2012

September 4th Stage 36 Tulln – Vienna – Tulln


September 4th Stage 36  Tulln – Vienna – Tulln  76 kms

Today’s ride from Tulln to the Kunsthistoriche Museum on the Ringstrasse in the centre of Vienna was much more enjoyable than I had anticipated. The first 25 kilometres or so follows a paved pathway along the bank of the river and through woodland and some small villages. The town of Klosterneuburg with its impressive abbey looked to be very pleasing. Then the city itself came upon me suddenly. One moment I was in more or less countryside, the next moment I had entered quite a different world of underpasses, metal cycle pistes hanging over the river, old barges, masses of concrete every square centimetre of which was covered in graffiti, some of it artistic, some of it alarming. 




Cyclists were everywhere, most of them travelling at speed, appearing unexpectedly from the innumerable cycle tracks that joined my main Euro 6 route and careering dangerously around the pillars and blocks that required some care to negotiate. If you can’t beat them, join them; so I picked up speed and began to enjoy myself, almost fooling myself I was a local as I raced along the canal bank, past some morose fishermen, weaving in and out of slower cyclists and pedestrians. In fact, I was going so quickly that I overshot my exit point from the canal quay to the city roads proper at Urania Strasse and had to retrace my steps and find my way on to the Ring Strasse. Here again the bicycle traffic was moving at some speed on the excellent cycle piste that winds all the way around the Ring Strasse.


In the evening I retraced my steps, for reasons I will explain in the next blog. If anything the cycle traffic was even more manic, especially as the regular commuters had now been joined by serious cyclists training for “the next big race”, or so it seemed. And not alone either. Sometimes there would be groups of nine or ten hurtling along the narrow crowded piste. But there were no accidents and everyone was very patient and tolerant. However, I was quickly out of the city, left the Donau Kanal and back next to the river proper. It was a delightful ride along the embankment in the late afternoon sunshine back to our camping in Tulln. An excellent day of serious cycling and equally serious (and perhaps more tiring) exploration in the Kunsthistorische Museum.

76 kms  From Schaffhausen 939 kms  From Galway 2847 kms 



In Austria I’ve enjoyed the opportunity to become a real tourist, seeing as many of the sights as I could. Melk and Durnstein stand out and I was really pleased to see the site of the discovery of the Willendorf Venus, having taught this Neolithic period and showed pictures of her to many a class. It was great to revisit Vienna, SUCH a grand city and to concentrate this time on the art museums. We’ve enjoyed a fair few sacher torters, apfel strudels and wiener schnitzels but sadly no kaiserschmarrens this time.   The Danube flows swiftly past this small gasthaus but is still a muddy brown (I think Strauss must have been overly imaginative.) There is a lot of traffic up and down, the tourist boats, the huge, long barges and even commuter hydrofoils on this last section coming from Bratislava. Tomorrow we’ll leave for Hungary. The route will include a few kilometres in Slovakia though I’ll see nothing of Bratislava as I’ll be choosing the easy option, as I did with Vienna, of taking the motorway round the city. 

Katherine

No comments:

Post a Comment